Monday, November 22, 2010

Cold apartment? Time to bake.

In the interest of furthering my ever-behind culinary skills, I picked up some cake mix and icing mix at Trader Joe's about a month back. Then I wanted to make the cake. This was when I realized that I didn't have any cake pans, making me delay my baking expedition even moreso. Needless to say, after getting the pans and realizing I was not too worried about an upcoming test, and motivated to make something nice for Becca, I finally followed the instructions and made an actual cake.

For the first time.


Yes, taking a picture was an afterthought of chowing down.

Yes, I've helped people make cakes and cupcakes and muffins over time, but I've never really held the reigns and I was a bit intimidated coming into my first time doing so. I know. No biggie. But considering the love and lust I have for baked goods, let alone CHOCOLATE baked goods, you have to understand realizing that I have the ability to churn out my own morsels of happiness is an exciting thing. This is not the end of this. It feels like the floodgates have opened, and its honestly more exciting than cooking to me. While I like thinking of various sauces and experimenting a little with food, the sugary-baked things are just a bit more tantalizing to me than the cooking. This could change. But for now I'll blame my Mom. And my Dad for giving me all the trouble for not getting the cooking merit badge while I was in Scouts.

A pleasant benefit to the baking was its ability to act as another heater in the apartment. These are colder times in Portland, with the high this past weekend being 38 and tomorrow's high being 30! You know what that means? Snow. I finally live in a place with snow. Albeit its only supposed to be a couple inches, but rest assured I'm taking pictures tomorrow. It should be nice lighting too as its going to be partly sunny after the snowfall of the night.

Another pleasant side effect of a colder apartment are scenes like this:

Becca-made curtains in the back! Oh, and a cute cat and girlfriend.

Anyways, I'm glad to be trying to get this writing more consistent than just music reviews. Though I enjoy those too and I'm looking forward to tomorrow's new album. I'll be reviewing Senior, Royksopp's follow up to 2009's Junior (a personal favorite).

3 comments:

  1. I loved the cake! It was so rich and dense, if I had more of a sweet tooth I would have another piece right now, maybe even eat the rest of the cake!! I can't wait for you to bake something else soon, and have it all warm and ready for us to share after I get home from a long hard day at work ;). I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you do it Kyle! I am about to embark on a baking adventure of my own. I am going to try to recreate my mother's apple pie all by myself! I hold this pie in high esteem and I can only hope it turns out as good as your cake looks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm SO proud of you, Nephew! If you wish to stretch a little more, make your own frosting. Homemade frosting takes a box cake to a new level, I promise, & not hard to make. You will never eat tub frosting again though, so consider yourself warned!
    Well done and keep baking!!
    Love,
    Aunt Christie :)

    ReplyDelete