Tuesday, October 12, 2010

New Music Tuesday: Belle and Sebastian's 'Write About Love'

Belle and Sebastian are one of those bands that I've heard about for years, had continually suggested to me, and even heard songs of and enjoyed what I heard. Yet, this is the first album of theirs I've actually really had a chance to absorb, so my history with them is the opposite of my review of the Mother Hips' 'Shootout'.

I did a little research ahead of writing in order to not feel completely ill-prepared to review an already successful and well received band's 8th album and was able to see all of the previous album covers. I was impressed with the similarly styled covers, letting me know that they seem to be consistent in image, which could definitely convince me to check out the rest of their discography if I really enjoyed this one.

And now to the music. The first track, 'I Didn't See it Coming' immediately draws you in with its simple but effective piano and drum accompaniment. But what really gets me here is the melody of the chorus in this song. I've been humming it the last couple days. Simple, but pretty and effective for an upbeat pop rock song. The song also has the chance to evolve in the bridge with some fun organ usage and noisy bits to make it really build up for its triumphant return to that hookiest of melodies decorating the chorus. Needless to say the album starts very strongly with this.

I appreciated the immediate chip tunes sound of the synth in the follow up track, 'Come on Sister'. While not quite as strong on its own and brain stealing as the hook in the previous track, it serves as a good B side to 'Coming's A side sound.

The next real standout song of the album would be 'I Want the World To Stop', coming in after the pallet cleansing 'Calculating Bimbo' (slow jam pop song akin to the 'Sun King' by The Beatles in vibe). 'I Want the World To Stop' would sound fairly natural on the next Broken Bells album, with Stuart Murdoch's voice sounding like he has a vocal brother in James Mercer. Also the beat and production of the piece sound exactly like what Burton was aiming for with Broken Bells' debut album earlier this year. Yet, I have the feeling that since this sounded so natural for Belle and Sebastian, and I do not have the benefit of knowing their previous albums to make a correct call, I'd bet Broken Bells were more inspired by B & S than the other way around.

Now I have a habit of falling for the more upbeat songs on albums before the quieter and more understated songs such as 'Little Lou, Ugly Jack, Prophet John', but they just don't stick out very much to me, especially when sandwiched between 'I Want the World To Stop' and the excellently executed 'Write About Love'. I definitely prefer the songs with both the female and male vocals on this album.

'I Can See Your Future's horn intro and walking bass line creates a fun pop experiment with the beat being periodically dropped and the airy female voice being accompanied by even more orchestra work. You can tell the band was really having fun with this, and that can only make the listener have fun with it as well.

Overall the album is a fun 11 song modern pop rock album that could do without a song or so to feel complete. Again, as someone not familiar with the rest of their work and not sure where it fits in with their other pieces, I am seeing this as a stand alone album. And by itself I see a well executed album with some definite standouts and unfortunately some more forgettable tunes, but giving a full listen will not leave you disappointed.

Belle and Sebastian - 'Write About Love' -> 4.1/5

If you haven't seen this video about the making of the album and some interviews with the band, check it out. Its fun and gives a bit more insight into where it came from.

No comments:

Post a Comment