Tuesday, September 21, 2010

New Music Tuesday: Frankie Rose and the Outs' Self-Titled Debut

Frankie Rose's latest band actually gets her out from behind the drums and in front of the mic, which turns out pretty well for listeners. I first heard of them a few months ago after a friend shared some demo's with me, so when I saw that their album was coming out today, I was pretty excited to see exactly what was in store.

The album starts appropriately with 'Hollow Life's sweet organs setting the tone for the upcoming wall of sound that follows in the rest of the album. Being a fan of albums that are composed and assembled as something that is supposed to exist as pieces that all work together, I love that this is not a collection of singles. To me it feels much more like an album experience, that needs the whole picture in order to feel whole. I know I won't be coming to these songs just looking to listen to one song and move on to another artist. Not that the sound and style is anything similar, but its status as a whole album to listen to reminds me of when I listen to 'Lola vs. the Moneygoround' by The Kinks. The songs are varied enough, but carry enough similarity in tone that it all comes together as a tryptych would form an overall piece.

Now to get the pieces. While a fan of some of the more subdued songs on the album, I can't help but be excited by some of the more poppy and energetic tunes. 'Candy' pops out immediately as the second track and sucks you into its mid 60's mood that you can immediately imagine the girls of the band with their beehive updo's. Its danceable, but in that slow shimmy and shake style that just makes you think about the dancing extras on the Ed Sullivan show.

'Memo' is probably my favorite of the bunch just with the warm tremolo tone of the opening guitar bit. Its not complicated, but it portrays a depth of understanding for the feeling of a well timed and accented riff. It almost reminds me of the beginning of Nancy Sinatra's 'Bang Bang' until the song picks up with a more modern distortion and pace, only to return to it. Great song and amazing tone. (It just makes me want to go replicate it with my own setup)


'Don't Tred' is a great example of why they could be likened a bit to The Cramps. Just listen. The song has a fun build up and I imagine would be one of their best songs live. Just the thrumming of the guitar and bass on a repetitive but ominous "dunnah dunnah". Also those drawn out chords and distortion make me think Frankie must be at least a little bit of a fan of Link Wray. Its the kind of track that makes it sound like a good candidate for being in the next Quentin Tarantino or Guy Ritchie film.

Frankie Rose & the Outs - 'Frankie Rose & the Outs' -> 4.1/5

Have a listen to 'Don't Tred'

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your comment about it being a very fitting song for a Quentin Tarantino film! I'm really excited to follow your blog and read in which directions your writing takes you...I like how enthusiastic your writing style is, te quiero!

    ReplyDelete